Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Knit Your Bit


TITLE: Knit Your Bit  A World War I Story
AUTHOR:  Deborah Hopkinson
ILLUSTRATOR: Steven Guarnaccia
PUBLISHER: G. P. Putnam's Sons
COPYRIGHT: 2013

Since Mikey's Dad is gone to fight in the war, Mikey wants to do something helpful.  His teacher tells the class about a knitting bee.  At first he thinks knitting is just for girls.  But when it turns into a competition, Mikey and his friends decide to participate in the knitting bee to help the soldiers.

I really enjoyed this book as it taught about an interesting time in our country's history. The illustrations are wonderful and overall this is just a great story and book.  I hope you will check it out.  I could see it being used in the classroom unit about World War I and lead into a great discussion on knitting and the war efforts. 

It is 2.8 reading level in AR.

No comments: